Director, Brand and Communications
Working at Laika
At Laika, we are on a mission to transform an industry that’s never been known for innovation, but we aren’t letting that stop us. We love collaborating to come up with new ways to solve problems that would stump other teams, and have created a workplace where the best idea wins and we bring out the best in each other.
Our team is full of entrepreneurial people with a bias toward action, an insatiable intellectual curiosity, and a desire to learn and grow personally and professionally. By bringing remarkably talented people together, we have the opportunity to create something truly amazing for our customers and our team.
What We Do
Laika combines simple software with expert guidance to help SaaS companies manage security compliance, security audits, and enterprise procurement security diligence. Laika helps companies adopt stage-appropriate compliance practices that enterprises can trust and reduce the time and costs of security audits by 50% or more.
We are a rapidly expanding team based in New York. We were founded in May 2019 and raised our Series C funding in November 2022. Our top investors include: J.P. Morgan, PayPal Ventures, Fin Capital, Centana, and Bain Capital. We're growing customers and revenue dramatically and we’re poised for continued break-out growth in 2023 and beyond.
About the Role
The Director of Brand and Communications will be responsible for overseeing and measuring the impact of communication strategies that effectively promote and scale brand awareness, identity, and reputation. You will ensure that every stakeholder understands the impact that brand investments are making on our business' growth. You’ll motivate and guide a talented team encompassing in-house and agency resources dedicated to content & SEO strategy, writing and editorial, social media, public relations, and visual design. You have a deep understanding of design theory and modern communication channels and tactics, how to apply them, and what outcomes to expect, and you aren’t shy about managing against goals. You’ve built high-performing teams that consistently hit stretch goals while supporting one another in a collaborative manner. You’ve brought an inspiring brand narrative to life, and you’re looking for the chance to do it again in a competitive, fast-growing, emerging market. You thrive on working cross-functionally with teams up and down the org – executive leadership, product marketing, demand gen, product design, and people operations, to name a few – and you know how to strike the right balance between speed to market and consistent quality.
- Set the strategy and guide execution for PR and social media
- Develop a Brand Health metrics dashboard to chart growth and benchmark awareness levels, PR, and social efforts & drive internal communication around these metrics
- Own internal communication and enablement for the brand narrative ensuring every employee is connected to and can communicate what makes us tick
- Develop and execute an internal marketing & brand newsletter to keep teams aware of important marketing initiatives and outcomes
- Advocate, educate, and enable internal teams to uphold brand guidelines and voice and tone on all final messaging
- Drive ideation on creative brand campaigns
- Collaborate with product design to ensure brand alignment and consistency in the product
- Provide strategic guidance to uphold the brand's visual design
- Monitor and measure the effectiveness of all brand and communication initiatives and adjust strategies as needed to optimize performance
- Determine and advocate for departmental budget
- Set monthly and quarterly brand and communications OKRs, monitor and report on performance and make recommendations on how to continuously optimize results
- 15+ years of experience in brand management and communications
- Experience in early stage, high-growth start-up environment
- Experience in PR, communications, and social media
- Experience building and coaching high-performing teams
- Proven experience developing and executing successful brand strategies and communication plans.
- Experience working with and pitching concepts to designers
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write persuasive, compelling content.
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to manage multiple initiatives simultaneously.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to measure and analyze marketing performance metrics.
If you have a passion for developing and executing successful brand and communication strategies and are looking for an exciting opportunity to lead a team and make a significant impact on a growing organization, we encourage you to apply for the position of Director of Brand and Communications.
Compensation & Benefits
- Compensation range for this position is $160,000 - $175,000 base salary - placement will be based on experience, skills and location
- Quarterly variable compensation based on performance
- Exceptional health, vision, and dental care
- Early equity in a fast-growing company
- Hybrid work-from-home model
- Unlimited PTO
- $800 stipend for home office equipment
- Monthly wellness & Wi-Fi stipend
- Paid courses and certifications
Laika provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Even if you feel you don’t meet every requirement, consider applying! Laika acknowledges the research which shows that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs when they don’t meet all of the stated qualifications. However, we’re looking for authentic innovators to blaze new trails and you just may be the right person for this or another role.
Your application has been successfully submitted.