Head of Marketing Operations
Do you want to be the glue that holds all of marketing together and be intimately involved in the strategic direction of an entire business area?
Do you really enjoy project management and building systems and processes?
Are you tired of red tape and executives that don’t “get” marketing?
If this sounds like you, we've got your perfect career.
If we already captured your attention and this sounds like your dream role, we expect you to read the entire career description before you apply!
We call this role “Head of Marketing Operations”, and this role is the leader of the Marketing Operations team.
At its core, this role is about applying both project management and marketing knowledge to assist in scaling marketing systems and processes.
Our marketing team is responsible for driving demand and building the Scribe brand globally. We are a close-knit, high-performing team that drives results (revenue), utilizes data-informed insights to understand what makes our vast audiences tick, and designs our messaging, content, advertising, and strategies to attract more people to us.
As the Head of Marketing Operations, you’ll be responsible for leading the process and systems design for all of marketing, operationalizing new marketing strategies and tactics, and supporting both the Demand and Brand teams in driving results for the entire business area.
You’ll primarily own and focus on:
- Supporting the people on the Marketing Operations team
- Developing and leading strategic direction for the Marketing Operations team
- Continuing to develop our project management suite (built in Airtable & Notion)
- Managing our Salesforce instance with support from a 3rd party vendor that’s an expert in Salesforce
- Building and maintaining Marketing specific automations built in Zapier and Airtable
- Managing Marketing technology and tools like Bizible, Partnerstack, Google Analytics, etc.
- Managing Marketing vendor relationships and agency / freelance partners
- Ensuring seamless communication flows within all of Marketing and across other business areas like Analytics, Finance, and Experience
- Developing standard operating procedures (SOPs) for Marketing processes and systems to enable scalability of the business area
Basically, you’re the glue that holds the Marketing business area together and the oil in the Marketing machine that ensures everything runs smoothly.
This role is for a type-A, organized person with fantastic attention to detail. You love creating processes and project management and are an expert, clear communicator.
You also have experience running marketing campaigns and supporting and leading a team.
If that sounds like you, you're probably pretty awesome, which brings us to an important question:
Who are we and what do we do?
We’re Scribe Media, and our mission is to help everyone on earth write, publish and market their book.
The problem is that writing and publishing books are, for most people, a painful and difficult process, loaded with uncertainty and aggravation. Our goal is to make it as simple as possible, so that as many people as possible can do it.
We have multiple ways we help people do this. We can edit and publish an already written manuscript (Scribe Publishing), or we can help people write their book using a structured process with our guidance (Scribe Guided Author), or we can do a structured interview process that gets the book out of them in their words and their voice (Scribe Professional).
And if you can't afford our services, that's fine. We give away all of our information for free. Seriously, it's called Scribe Book School, and it's better than any paid course on the internet.
You can see some press about us here.
And you can see some of the books we've already published here.
Why our work matters
Our company was started because a frustrated entrepreneur wanted to put all of her incredible knowledge and ideas into a book, but didn't have the time to write it or the patience to deal with the frustrating publishing process. So we solved her problem. The origin story is here.
Her book became an amazing success, and we realized the world was full of these people--smart people who should write a book, but don’t, because the process is so painful.
These people want to write books, but don't have the time or desire to do it the old way, and that's why Scribe exists: we help people turn their ideas into books that both cement their legacy and impact the world.
Our process has worked for over 2,000 authors in seven years, and we’re growing fast. Our ultimate goal is to help everyone on earth write and publish a book.
If we do that, we'll help create many thousands of books that would never have otherwise existed, changing the lives of millions of people. That's really exciting to us.
But if you really want to see why we do this...just watch this video of an author we worked with, Philip McKernan.
What's it like being part of the Scribe Tribe?
We're not going to try to pitch you a load of corporate doublespeak bullshit about how great we are. Instead, we’ll just show you proof.
These are all real tribe members, speaking openly and honestly about all aspects of what it's like to be part of this tribe:
You can see a bunch more videos here, on our YouTube Channel.
This is the operating system for our tribe: The Scribe Culture Bible.
We are consistently ranked the #1 Best Place To Work in Austin.
Also, Entrepreneur Magazine said we have the #1 company culture in America.
You In? Awesome, here are the details:
- Austin, TX
Type of Employment
Necessary Skills & Qualifications
Here is the list of skills we believe are necessary for this career.
- Leadership: Experience in managing fast-growth teams and proven natural leadership skills. You will be responsible for supporting and managing a small team of highly skilled Marketing operators and project managers.
- Broad marketing experience: In order to be considered for this role, you'll need to have at least five years of marketing experience (B2B is preferred). This means you've worked on many different types of marketing campaigns like email, SEO, social content, blog content, customer surveys, etc.
- You’re Obsessed with Organization and Have Impeccable Attention to Detail: You must be the type of person who can’t stand for things to be out of order. We’re a fast moving young company (7 years old) and a big part of your role is to bring order to the chaos, at least in terms of Marketing processes. If you geek out over spreadsheets, automations, project management, systems design, and automations that’s a great sign. Impeccable attention to detail is so critical to this role, on the application when it asks “what is your favorite animal” we want you to write “attention to detail is my middle name”.
- Strategic and Critical Thinking: Ability to thrive in fast-paced environments, embrace the unknown, and adapt to a quickly changing environment without losing the thread on project goals. You know how to learn on the fly and can keep projects moving forward, even when pieces of the project are new to you. You set clear expectations for yourself and others for successful outcomes and you can easily assess and pivot to meet those expectations.
- Excellent Communicator: You are masterful at summarizing complex topics into simple, understandable, and easy-to-follow presentation materials, both in speaking and writing. You are engaging and clear when delivering presentations, and are energized by fielding unexpected questions. You are proactive in sharing updates, and masterful in coaching and teaching others.
- Project Management: You’ve had some experience “owning” projects and processes, and you love it. In this role, you will be responsible for setting strategy and ensuring that you and a small team of marketers and freelancers execute for the best possible outcome. This entails envisioning how the project is structured, understanding who the stakeholders are, and assigning appropriate tasks and deadlines to work within project parameters.
- You’re At Home With Technology and Metrics Driven: There are no major programming skills required, but you will be using our project management system built in Airtable and Notion and a slew of automations and tech tools every single day that will make your life even more enjoyable. You get excited by extracting actionable learnings from campaign data, managing spreadsheets and tools, and identifying insights from numbers to continuously improve execution. If you are a learner, you’ll have no problems learning the specifics, but you should be an Excel power user.
Salary & Benefits
- Competitive Pay: $95,000.
- Full Benefits Package: We don’t spend our money on ping pong tables and beanbag chairs. We spend our money on things that matter to our Tribe--like a full slate of benefits that would rival any Fortune 50 company.
- We fully cover your medical, dental, and vision insurance—starting on day 1.
- We offer up to $1,500 in educational assistance to continue your learning.
- We have six weeks of paid time off, including holidays and the week between Christmas and New Year’s.
- If anything awful were to happen to you, we provide life insurance and short- and long-term disability.
- 401k match to support you in planning for your future.
- Free Book Benefit: Take part in Scribe’s Guided Author from Day-1. Scribe’s Free Book Benefit can be used once every 18 months for Scribe Publishing or Guided Author, and every 36 months for Scribe Editing. You’ll also have free access to the entire Scribe library.
- Each Tribe member gets four fully paid community service days per year. These days can be used to volunteer alongside Tribe members at coordinated community events or to individually support causes you care about in your local community.
- We believe that Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion has no finish line. We hold optional discussions throughout the month led by volunteer Tribe members with the goal to provide a safe space for asking questions, openly sharing, and encouraging learning.
- Any Tribe member who gives birth receives 12 weeks of fully paid time off. Partners of birthing parents, or those involved in adoptions, foster placements, or birth through a surrogate, receive 4 weeks of paid leave.
- Up to 10 days of fully-paid, no questions asked Bereavement leave. You define what 'loved one' means to you: be it a parent, a cousin, a best friend, or even a beloved pet.
- MacBooks are provided to all full-time Tribe members for Scribe work and personal use.
- We're supportive of Tribe members working to create the lives they imagine! Freedom to do other work on the side is encouraged, as long as the work doesn't compete with or negatively impact Scribe's business.
- As a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) host, we partner with an organization that supports refugee families through a community garden here in Austin. You can sign up with us to get local, in-season produce delivered weekly straight to the office!
- We have Work with Your Dog Wednesdays! AKA: Woofdays!
- Plus, we eat a free catered lunch together in the office on Fridays!
- Be Part Of A Tribe: You (should) have seen the videos above. We also have a pretty cool set of principles that we live by as a tribe, you should check it out, because this is the operating system for our tribe, and everyone in our company lives the values and principles outlined in this doc.
- Freedom & Flex Work: This is an Austin based role. So, while you’ll need to be based in Austin, we offer a flexible work environment. You can work from home, work while you travel, work in our office, make your own hours--we don't care. You can wear a three piece suit (like our CEO), gym clothes, or anything else--we don't care. We only care that you drive results, uphold our values, and perform in your role. And we have lots of paid time off each year, because we believe that rest and recovery are just as important as work. But, again, unlike other roles in the company, this is not a remote position.
- Make A Real Impact: We’re a small tribe (just about 100 full time) and you will be a major part of our team. Not only that, you won't just impact the company, you'll impact the world. Books are one of the very best ways to influence other people and change the way they think--and you'll be helping to make them a reality.
- Work With Interesting People: You're not just working on any books. Past authors include major company CEOs, famous entrepreneurs, professional athletes, and people with amazing personal stories. These are books that change lives.
- Want to see more? Check out the Scribe Careers page of our website.
At Scribe, we don’t just accept differences — we support them, celebrate them, and as a company, we thrive on them. Scribe is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and we actively look for and hire people who bring new perspectives and experiences to our tribe.
Everyone has a story to share. Our CEO, JeVon “JT McCormick”, is just one Tribe Member example.
Ready to apply?
Complete the application by clicking on the 'Apply To Position' button. Applications will remain open until we find the perfect person for this role.
You can expect to hear back from us either way within 15 business days. Be sure to keep an eye on your spam and promotions boxes in case our emails end up there! To make sure we're able to give your application the careful attention and time it deserves, please do not follow up with us unless you don't hear back from us by then.
Please, no phone calls. Due to the number of applicants we typically receive for our career openings, we are not able to do phone interviews until later stages of the hiring process. All applicants must submit an application through our portal.
Note: If you're on an external job site, we encourage you to apply directly from our career portal at https://scribe.breezy.hr/
We're only considering candidates located in the United States, and that are authorized to work in the United States. We will not sponsor applicants for work visas.
Bonus: If you aren't right for this career, but you know the perfect person, send them this career description.
If we hire them, we'll give you a $2,000 bonus.
Totally serious--every person we hire, we ask them who referred them to us, and we pay the bonus to the referrer. That could be you if you share this career ad with a friend who's perfect for it.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Unlocking the world's wisdom.