Brand Design Lead
We’re seeking a talented and motivated full-time Brand Design Lead to join our growing team. As the first team member in this dedicated role you will work closely with marketing, product, design, and engineering to define the Tailscale brand through everything from social media, to our website, swag, tutorials, diagrams, and more. Tailscale is a technical product, but ease of use, zero-configuration, and great user experience are our strongest differentiators. Design plays a critical role in making Tailscale accessible, straightforward, and trustworthy to a wide audience (everyone from hobbyists to seasoned IT professionals).
Because we’re an early-stage and fully remote company, we’re looking for a motivated individual who can think on their feet, enjoys collaborating with highly technical teams, and is comfortable working asynchronously.
- Drive visual storytelling through vibrant, impactful, and compelling design
- Translate complex user journeys and technological concepts into intuitive visuals and diagrams
- Define and maintain brand guidelines and standardize their use across Tailscale marketing, company materials, and product
- Build upon our visual identity and help shape our design system through contributions to our typography, color palette, illustration, and iconography
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders to own the process from ideation to delivery of the final product
- Meet our users and come up with ways to make their interactions with Tailscale even more delightful
- Communicate openly, supporting and championing innovation and inclusivity
Ideally, you have:
- Experience leading brand design projects from ideation to production and driving consensus among stakeholders of different backgrounds, preferably in a startup environment
- Ability to learn complex technical subjects and translate them into easy-to-understand visuals for a wide audience with broad-ranging technical ability
- Excellent time management, interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills
- Excellent visual and typographic skills
- Ability to give and receive constructive design feedback and work independently
- Flexibility to adjust to the dynamic nature of a startup
It’s nice if you have:
- Experience working as an embedded function within a product team
- Experience with technical subjects and information architecture
- Experience creating visual material for complex SaaS technology solutions at a B2B or enterprise technology company
- Experience crafting, maintaining, and enforcing brand guidelines
- Front-end development skills (to contribute to the website)
Tailscale is a fully remote company with employees in both the United States and Canada. We offer:
- Flexible (and reasonable) working hours—work/life balance is exceptionally important to us
- Competitive compensation, stock options and 401(k) (for United States-based employees)
- Comprehensive medical/dental/vision benefits, and more
- 4 weeks of paid vacation (standard across the company) + 12 company holidays per year
- An allowance for equipment to help you personalize your workspace
This is a full-time position. Our team is spread across Toronto, Montréal, New York City, Seattle, San Francisco, Victoria, Phoenix, and elsewhere. We are looking for someone based in the continental United States or Canada who can maintain several hours a day of overlap with the Eastern timezone.
Tailscale is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building a work environment that is both diverse and inclusive. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, ancestry, creed, color, disability, ethnicity, family or medical care leave, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the hiring process.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No recruiters, please.
Please keep reading...
Research shows that candidates from underrepresented backgrounds often don't apply for roles if they don't meet all the criteria — unlike majority candidates meeting significantly fewer requirements.
We strongly encourage you to apply if you’re interested: we’d love to know how you can amplify our team with your unique experience!
Tailscale builds software that makes it easy to connect and secure devices, no matter where they are. Every day, banks and multi-national companies use Tailscale to protect their corporate networks. Hobbyists and start-ups trust Tailscale to collaborate and share access to tooling. We're building a future for the Internet that's easy, small and safe, like it used to be. Founded in 2019 and fully distributed, we're backed by Accel, HeavyBit, Uncork Capital, CRV, and Insight Partners.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
A secure network that just works