Founding Growth Marketer
About the role
$140K - $175K, 0.1-0.25% equity San Francisco/New York
Founding Growth Marketer with focus on demand gen wanted for hazardous journey. Honor, recognition, and opportunity to become our head of sales or sales manager in event of success. Join us on our expedition!
You have at least 4 yrs of growth and marketing experience under your belt at B2B startups and are confident building a growth engine from scratch.
Letterdrop is a YC-backed seed stage startup. We put content marketing on autopilot for B2B companies across SEO, social, and email. It’s getting harder to sell. Cold emails and LinkedIn DMs clog inboxes everywhere. Businesses need to educate customers and build trust to create sustainable lead gen. The very best companies know this. It’s a LOT of work and tooling that needs to come together to run a successful content marketing operation across ideation, project management, creation, distribution, and analytics. We automate and streamline it all so that marketers can go back to focusing on their customers instead of worrying about tactics and mundane tasks. Our end goal is to automate organic growth end to end. Companies run their business us usual and Letterdrop figures out how to educate your customers across channels.
Very tactically, here are the top problems we tackle:
- Webflow CMS We’re the best way to publish content to Webflow sites (we’re a Webflow launch partner on their marketplace)
- Social Selling We can automate content distribution by your entire sales team on LinkedIn to shorten sales cycles
- Sales Enablement Content Automation We can listen to sales calls and automatically create first drafts of the right content to move deals along faster and educate customers.
- No-BS Writing That Ranks Tools to help you write thoughtful B2B content following sales-focused frameworks and SEO-optimize your articles to rank on Google (going well beyond keywords).
- Seamless Workflows Project management to manage dozens of writers and publish 100+ articles/mo
- Analytics Automatic alerting to tell you what content needs to be updated for Google
You’ll be working closely with me, the CEO, Zach, your sales counterpart, and Keelyn, our content writer who you can leverage for SEO, social, email, and copywriting, and a VA team for data collection and automation experiments. We’ve closed our first 40 customers like fast growing companies like Ramp, Census, Scribe, NextDLP, Pecan AI, and more largely through inbound. We have a repeatable sales motion in place and need to increase pipeline.
There’s a demo on our site and you can sign up for a trial if you want to play with the product.
- Your primary skillset is in growth and demand gen. You’ve successfully generated pipeline with paid campaigns on Google and LinkedIn for SaaS before. But as the first marketing hire, you’re comfortable doing anything and everything to grow our pipeline - SEO, social, partnerships, landing pages, competitive positioning, working with Zach on our more automated outbound, etc. We already have a decent workflow in place to generate leads via LinkedIn and SEO by eating our own dog food.
- You have numbers to back up your past experience - talk to me in terms of leads generated, pipeline coverage, closed/won for marketing sourced leads. We have ambitious goals and want to know that you’ve done it before.- You are metrics driven and can break out spreadsheets to understand whether your actions are driving the lead volume we need. Can you work backwards from a revenue target to figure out where leads are coming from, where to double down, and where to cut efforts.
- You’re process-oriented. You understand that growth is not tactics, but process. You ideate, prioritize, test, analyze, and create processes to unlock new inbound.
- You’ve got hustle and grit. This is not your mama’s marketing role (though I’m sure she has an amazing marketing org if she happens to be a VP Marketing). This is the VERY FIRST marketing hire at a seed-stage startup. People don’t know us. Most of our customers so far are inbound from me, the CEO, being prolific on LinkedIn, some SEO, and some nascent outbound. There might be bad days… in fact there are likely to be many of them. But you’re ready to roll up your sleeves, and figure out how to make sure every goddamn marketing team out there wishes they were Letterdrop.
- You have done this before at your previous job and your manager says something along the lines of “I’ll be working for you one day”.
Who is this for?
- You want to cut your teeth as the first marketing hire and help us build our GTM team.
- You’re not one for defined roles. You’re creative and flexible to try anything and everything to get our ICP to book calls with sales.
- You’re excited to step up and grow into a bigger role. All marketing to date has been founder-led. In the next 12 months, if things are going well, you can build out the rest of the marketing team and grow into a Head of Marketing role.
Who is this not a fit for?
- You can’t work hard right now. If you have other priorities outside of work, being the first marketing hire at a startup is probably not the right move.
- You need a traditional environment and structure. I’m a technical founder who has learned marketing by building a Martech startup. We’re still figuring out our revenue org. I don’t have all the answers. You’re excited to figure it out with me.
- You’re not excited about helping other marketers. The nice thing about Letterdrop is you’re selling to marketing teams and we impact pipeline. The problems we solve are very relevant to your job. You’ll have way more fun if you’re passionate about helping marketing teams.
If the above make you even more excited, great! If it’s not a fit, that’s cool too — good to get it out of the way early.
What will you do?
- You will be responsible for leads generated, pipeline coverage, and closed/won deals from marketing sourced leads as your KPIs. The goal is to make you jointly responsible for revenue along with our AE, Zach.
- Understand our ICP deeply - their problem, the language they use to describe their problems, where they hang out online and IRL, how to best reach them.
- Manage a marketing budget to achieve lead goals every quarter.
- Manage paid ad campaigns with advice from our marketing advisor, Adam.
- Host webinars and co-market with marketers, Webflow/content marketing agencies, and complementary companies in our space.
- Create landing pages on our Webflow site for campaigns and make copy crystal clear with language that our customers use.
- Use tools like Canva and Figma to create drafts of assets for our site, social media, and launches. We can get a designer to give you templates and assets polished.
- Preferably located in San Francisco Bay Area or New York
- 4 yrs of experience in demand gen at a B2B company (earlier the better)
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred, not required)
How to apply
As a good marketer, you should try to grab my attention. I will pay attention to your copy and how you’re marketing yourself.
Stand out in a good way - no gimmicks, just convince me to pay attention and take a call.
You don't need to add any formalities or a cover letter. I’m just looking for proof that you’re hard working, take initiative, and creative.
Thank you for reading! I’m excited to work with you. 😃
- Intro call (20 mins)
- Take home assignment outlining your strategy to grow Letterdrop
- Interview with me focused on technical and strategy questions (45 mins)
- Call with Zach for sales alignment (30 mins)
- Call with Adam, our CMO advisor (15 mins)
Letterdrop helps B2B companies create and distribute 32% more content, faster, and without headaches. We automate and streamline workflows to make content a revenue driver for your business.
Get more customers organically with true content automation